Sunday 13 April 2014

Books that have Inspired Me



I haven't been up to much recently. I've been trying to be good, staying in and saving for my upcoming Florida trip and lot's of Easter plans with friends. I've also just started the Jason Vale '5lbs in 5 Days' Juice Detox (more on that at a later date) so can't even share pics of tasty food I've created. 

With that in mind I thought I'd do a post about the books that have inspired me in the past few years since I know that I really enjoying getting good book tips. When I was youger I was a massive book worm and I still enjoy a good novel, although these days I go through splurges where I'll read nothing for months then about four books in a month. So anyone here are the top ten novels I've read so far:




First up is a bit of  a classic in my eyes, The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I read this way back in school after my science teacher recommended ready Wyndham's other novel The Chrysalids. It was a tough choice to choose my favourite but this one just pipped the other to the post.

The Day of the Triffids is a tale of ecological apocalypse! Bill Masen wakes up, blind, in the middle of the catastrophe. Once a mere botanical wonder, The Triffids have been unleashed and they have a taste for human flesh! Now this synopsis may sound ridiculous but trust me it makes for a great read.

 


Now I know there was a lot of hype 'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden when the film came out and while I don't like to follow the crowd ( a la '50 Shades'), I think this novel is sublime and well worth all the hype. I am a massive fan of Japanese culture and this book fascinated me on every level.

The tale of Chiyo/Sayuri's rise from a fishermans daughter to become a  famous Geisha and fight for the love of her life, this book will have you enthralled. If you haven't read 'Memoirs'  you must, it is one of my favourite books ever and they didn't do a bad job on the film either!




I discovered Ryu Murakami a few years back and proceeded to read every book he had ever written. 'In the Miso Soup' is a shocking tale based in Tokyo. Frank, an overweight American tourist hires local tour guide Kenji to show him around but the experience turns into the night from hell.
 



 'The Gargoyle' by Andrew Davidson is a beautiful fantasy tale about a couple's love throughout the centuries. I don't want to give too much away but I got so involved in this book that I was upset when it was over, beatuifully written, a real page turner.




Another classic 'A Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley has inspired so many other brilliant novels with the introduction of a 'Big Brother' society.




'The Night Circus' by Erin Morgenstern is one of my most recent reads. I'd read a lot of good things about it so I picked it up from the Airport and immediately devoured it. It really is a magical and enchanting tale about a mysterious night circus and it's workers that pop's up all over the world.

 


Rachel Zodok is a South African writer and I absolutley adore her debut novel 'Gem Squash Tokolshe' which was shortlisted for the 2005 Whitbread Award. Faith is a child growing up in rural South Africa, fast forward 15 years and her father has left and her mother is dead. Faith must now return to the farm that she grew up on and face the horrors of her past.
 



I very recently read 'The Shining Girls' by Lauren Beukes and was very impressed. The story is based on Harper, a serial killer that stalks girls through the years and 'cuts the sparks out of them'. Creepy, intense and bloody brilliant!




'Burnt Shadows' is again based in Japan (do you notice a theme here), this time in Nagasaki and during an atomic bomb attack, it traces Hiroko Tanaka's journey through love and life.
 



And finally 'The Gunslinger' is part of a brilliant series called 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King. I am an avid Stephen King fan and grew up on his horror tales. However he is soo much more than a horror writer having penned the likes of the brilliant 'Green Mile' and 'Shawshank Redemption'.

The 'Dark Tower' is set in a fantasy world with enigmatic hero Roland of Gilead - The last gunslinger and his journey through time and different worlds pursuing 'The Man in Black'. I have all seven books in the series, with the last four being hardbacks and beautifully illustrated. This collection is definitely one I'll be keeping for my son to read when he's older.

I heard rumours that it was to be turned into a series of movies and I can't quite believe someone hasn't snapped it up yet. I think Hugh Jackman would be the perfect 'Roland'. 

So there's an insight into some of my personal favourites. What about you guy's? Any tips as I'm struggling for my next exciting read and I'll definitely be needing a beach book for Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment